The mission of The Food Basket, Inc. is to feed the hungry in Hawaii County while attending to the root causes of this critical social problem. The Food Basket will accomplish its mission by:
- Preventing the waste of all edible food in Hawaii County;
- Feeding the hungry with this food;
- Educating the community about local hunger and what can be done to solve this social problem; and
- Collaborating with organizations of partnering missions to eradicate the root of hunger and other social ills: poverty.
The Food Basket’s goals include:
- Eradicating hunger on the Big Island through redistribution of food that would otherwise be wasted;
- Providing a connection between Big Island agriculture and its most vulnerable populations;
- Serving our supporters and clients in the spirit of Aloha, with respect and kindness;
- Removing the stigma that has been unfairly attached to those needing assistance;
- Helping our partners provide healthy, nutritious food to all of the Big Island’s needy, and;
- Providing an example of trust, transparency, and responsible stewardship for non-profits and the public island-wide.